The intensive English program of English Programs for Internationals (EPI) of the University of South Carolina combines high-quality instruction with friendly, personalized service. EPI's intensive English program provides an opportunity for international students to improve their English language skills before entering a university in the United States. It is also appropriate for individuals who need English skills for professional reasons. EPI is designed to help international students feel comfortable and succeed in their new environment.
EPI offers five terms per year beginning in January, March, May, August, and October. Each term is 8 weeks long (7.5 weeks of instruction), and each week students receive 20 hours of supervised English instruction. Classes are held Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and Friday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. There are three core courses: Writing/Grammar, Reading/Vocabulary, and Speaking/Listening. There are no classes on Friday afternoons.
TOEFL preparation provides 24 hours of instruction each term. This is an optional class offered for an additional fee every term.
Class size averages from 15 to 18 students* of similar English level. Seven levels of proficiency are offered, from beginning to advanced.
Students are placed in their classes based on the results of tests administered at the beginning of each term. In addition to scheduled classes, students have access to EPI's four computer labs (also the university's labs) during the week. All students have an e-mail account and high-speed access to the internet. Because classes are held on campus, EPI students are able to interact with American students and to learn about student life.
Three Core Courses are offered for a minimum of 20 instructional hours per week:
- Writing/Grammar (WG) (6.67 hours per week) Writing instruction and practice are combined with grammar instruction so that EPI students develop the knowledge they need to use grammar to produce clear English writing. Students spend one WG class per week in a computer lab, working on word processing and/or grammar software with their teacher.
- Reading/Vocabulary (RV) (6.67 hours per week) Reading instruction is combined with vocabulary development. Instruction focuses on improving reading comprehension skills and reading speed. Summary writing is a regular part of RV classes. RV students spend one hour per week in the computer lab.
- Speaking/Listening (SL) (6.67 hours per week) Speaking instruction is combined with improving listening skills and developing clear English pronunciation. Students spend one SL class per week in a computer lab, working with their teacher on pronunciation and listening software/internet activities.
Student Achievement Scale
The Student Achievement Scale outlines the measurable and observable outcomes that a student can expect to achieve upon successful completion of each course of each level in the intensive English program.
EPI offers optional test preparation courses for additional fees, including:
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) test preparation course
- Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) preparation course
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) preparation course
There may be an additional fee for students taking the GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS course as an additional course. Students in level 5 or level 6 can take the GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS course as an additional course, but only EPI students who have successfully completed one or more level 6 courses can replace one class with either the GRE, TOEFL, or IELTS preparation course at no additional charge.
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) preparation course provides twenty-four hours of instruction and meets twice a week. The cost for this course is $530, including materials.
EPI accepts students who are interested in a full-time language program. An applicant must be at least 17 years old and a graduate of a secondary school.
EPI offers short-term study options for people who cannot study in EPI for 8 weeks. The tuition and campus fee for a short-term program is $475 per week. If you have questions, please send a message to email@example.com or call our office at (803) 777-3867.
See dates of the upcoming terms.
Application for Intensive English Program
*While the class size average ranges from 15-18, individual classes may be larger. Additionally, some class levels may be combined when made necessary by enrollment. In this case, instructors will still strive to maintain differentiated instruction for students of distinct levels.